Caribbean Crunch Muffins
Mix up a batch of these flavour packed muffins filled with coconut, dates, banana, oats and pecans for a taste of the Caribbean.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pitted, chopped dates
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) organic, virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) mashed ripe bananas (3 small)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsweetened medium coconut
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) organic virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) unsweetened medium coconut
- In small bowl, soften dates in 2 Tbsp (30 mL) boiling water. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Position rack in centre of oven.
- In large bowl, beat softened dates and coconut oil. Blend in banana, eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together oats, flour, pecans, coconut, ground flaxseed, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to wet ingredients. Stir gently until combined.
- Spoon 1/4 cup (60 mL) into muffin tins that have been sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray.
- To make topping: In a bowl combine oats, sugar, coconut oil, pecans and coconut. Stir well. Sprinkle each muffin with 1 ½ Tbsp (20 mL) topping.
- Bake 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly pressed. Let cool on rack 10 minutes before removing from tins. Remove muffins and continue cooling on rack another 15 minutes.
- Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days or frozen up to 2 months.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped dried mango, papaya, pineapple, etc. can be added to the batter before baking.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) brown sugar or coconut sugar may be used to replace the softened dates.
- Non-hydrogenated tub-style margarine may be used in the place of the coconut oil.
YIELD: 12 muffins.
SERVING SIZE: 1 muffin. Each serving contains 3/4 tsp (4 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|