Baked Italian Sandwiches
Ideal for lunches on the go!
- 3 Italian sausages (hot or mild), casing removed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced onion
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cornmeal
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 1% milk
In a nonstick fry pan, over medium heat, cook sausage meat, green pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat, stir in tomato paste and ground flaxseed. Let mixture cool while making dough.
Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C).
In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, ground flaxseed, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, oregano, salt and garlic. Mix well.
Drizzle olive oil over flour mixture. Stir well. Mix with fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add milk, stirring only until ingredients are dampened. Add a little more milk if needed to make a soft dough. Turn dough onto a well floured surface. Knead gently 8 times. Roll dough to 1/4 inch (6 mm) thickness and a 14 inch (35 cm) circle. Cut 6 - 4 1/2 inch (11 cm) circles. Put together scraps, re-roll to cut one more circle.
Spoon 2 Tbsp (30 mL) filling on half of each circle. Dampen outside edge with water. Fold half of the dough over filling to meet other half forming a semi-circle. Seal edges with a fork.
Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
YIELD: 7 servings.
SERVING SIZE: 1 sandwich. Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|