Ancient Grain Crackers
Appetizer, Whole Flaxseed, Ground Flaxseed
Quinoa, spelt, millet and flaxseed - these crackers have it all!
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) spelt flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) millet flour
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) whole flaxseed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 1% milk
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, ground flaxseed, quinoa flour, spelt flour, millet flour, whole flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Drizzle oil over flour mixture. Stir well then rub between fingers until mixture resembles pea sized crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, brown sugar and honey. Add to flour mixture and stir until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough into two equal balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one to 3 mm (1/8 inch) thickness. Cut into 5 cm (2 inch) square or cut with a cookie cutter. Prick cracker tops with a fork and place on baking sheets. Repeat with other ball of dough.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Remove crackers from baking sheet and cool on a rack.
- Store in baking tin on counter for one to two weeks or for longer storage, freeze.
Yield: 5 dozen crackers.
Serving Size: 2 crackers.
|Total Fat||1 g|
< Back to main Recipes page