Apple Bran Muffins
These tasty Apple Bran Muffins are a delicious source of fibre!
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) fancy molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) natural bran
- 1 cup (250 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped, peeled and cored apple
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped pitted dates
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
In a large bowl whisk together buttermilk, brown sugar, canola oil, molasses and egg.
In another bowl, combine bran, all-purpose flour, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Stir dry ingredient mixture into liquid ingredient mixture. Stir in apple and dates.
Spray muffin tins with a nonstick cooking spray. Spoon batter into muffin tins two thirds full.
Bake 17 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tins and cool on a rack.
YIELD: 12 muffins.
SERVING SIZE: 1 muffin. Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|