Apple Flaxseed Square
Baking, Whole Flaxseed
This flaxseed square tastes just like apple pie.
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) flaxseed
- 1 cup (250 mL) shortening
- 1 egg yolk plus enough milk to make 2/3 cup (150 mL) liquid
- 2 cups (500 mL) cornflakes crushed to 1 cup (250 mL) crumbs
- 4 large or 6 small apples to make 5 cups (1.25 L) of sliced apples
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) warm water
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla or almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Lightly spray a 15 x 10 inch (40 x 25 cm) baking sheet with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, salt and flaxseed. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in egg yolk and milk until a soft dough forms. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half into a 15 x 10 inch (40 x 25 cm) rectangle to fit the baking sheet. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle cornflake crumbs over dough.
- Peel, pare and slice apples. Spread apple slices on top of crumbs. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Roll out other half of dough, lay on top of apples to cover. Crimp edges all around to seal.
- Beat egg white until frothy, brush on top of crust.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together icing sugar, water and vanilla or almond extract; stir well. Add a few drops of water if needed to form a drizzle. Using a spoon, drizzle icing over square. Cut into 30 squares.
Yield: 30 squares.
Serving Size: 1 square. Each serving contains 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||6 g|
< Back to main Recipes page