Bittersweet Flax Butter
The combination of hazelnuts, chocolate and ground flax is delicious. Tastes great on toast or as a dip for fruit!
- 2 cups (500 mL) roasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) roasted ground flax
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups (375 – 500 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Place hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and roast for 8-10 minutes, stirring once. Remove hazelnuts from the pan and add them to the food processor bowl.
- Using a food processor, process hazelnuts on low for 5 minutes. Add coconut oil and continue processing for another 15 minutes, stopping every 5 minutes to scrape down the sides of the bowl. At the end of 20 minutes the nut butter should be smooth and creamy.
- Add flaxseed and chocolate chips. Blend 1 minutes to combine.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to two month. It probably will not last that long!
Cooks Note: For best results it is important to use raw, unsalted nuts with no skins – you can rub the roasted nuts between a tea towel or rubbing them together in your hands to remove the skins.
YIELD: 2 cups (500 mL).
SERVING SIZE: 2 Tbsp (30 mL). Each serving contains 1 tsp (5 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||4.5 g|