Blueberry and Flaxseed Bannock
Serve warm with butter, jam or maple pecan topping.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- 2 Tbsp (20 mL) melted butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, unbleached flour, oats, ground and whole flaxseed, sugar, baking powder and salt. Toss in blueberries.
- Drizzle water and butter over flour mixture, stir with a fork, adding more water if needed to make a sticky dough.
- Pat dough into an 8 inch (20 cm) pie plate sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and cut into 6 wedges.
- Serve warm with butter, jam, or maple pecan topping.
YIELD: 6 servings.
SERVING SIZE: 1 wedge. Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|