Brown Rice and Flax Topped Portobella Mushrooms
Brown rice and flax topped portobello mushrooms make the perfect starter, hearty snack or delicious side dish to add to your meal.
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked brown rice
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) whole flaxseed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) 2% milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped celery
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crushed basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) seasoned salt
- pinch black pepper
- 3 portobella mushrooms, 10 cm (4 inches) in diameter
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) flaxseed oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked brown rice and flaxseed. Add egg and milk, beat with a fork until well mixed. Add cheese, onion, celery, basil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove and finely chop stems from mushroom caps. Add chopped stems to rice mixture.
- Place mushroom caps, tops down, into a 9 inch (22 cm) pie plate that has been sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray. Evenly divide rice mixture onto mushroom caps. Loosely cover with foil wrap.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until mixture is set. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Drizzle bottom of each serving plate with 1 tsp (5 mL) of flaxseed oil and balsamic vinegar. Place mushroom cap on each plate and serve.
YIELD: 3 servings.
SERVING SIZE: 1 mushroom. Each serving contains 1 tsp (5 mL) of whole flaxseed and 1 tsp (5 mL) of flaxseed oil.
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|