Caraway Multigrain Buns
Packed with seeds and grains these hearty homemade buns are a yummy change from your ordinary bun.
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) active dry yeast or 2 -8 g packages
- 3 cups (750 mL) warm water, 100 to 110º F (40 to 45º C)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) fancy molasses
- 2 tsp (10 mL) caraway seed
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) white vinegar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) oat bran
- 1 cup (250 mL) rye flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sesame seed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raw sunflower seeds
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups (875 mL – 1 L) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) water
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) whole flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) caraway seed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sesame seed
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil, molasses, caraway seed, salt, vinegar and egg. Stir.
- Add whole wheat flour, oat bran, rye flour, ground flaxseed, whole flaxseed, sesame and sunflower seeds. Beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place in oiled bowl, turning once to oil top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Shape into 24 round balls, flatten each into 3 inch (7.5 cm) circle. Place on greased baking sheet 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Beat egg white with water until frothy. Brush over buns. Sprinkle whole flaxseed, caraway and sesame seeds on buns.
- Cover with oiled plastic wrap. Let rise until double in bulk, about 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC) oven. Bake until golden brown 22 to 24 minutes.
YIELD: 24 buns.
SERVING SIZE: 1 large bun. Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|