Chocolate Caramel Popcorn
Start movie night with this salty-sweet snack mix!
- 20 cups (5 L) popped popcorn
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole toasted golden flaxseed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C). Spray two 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. Divide the popcorn between the pans.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine sugars, butter and corn syrup. Bring mixture to a full boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce temperature to medium low and continue cooking without stirring until a candy thermometer displays 234°F (112°C). Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and baking soda. Be careful when you do this, as the mixture will bubble vigorously. Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, flaxseed and almonds over the popcorn. Stir to coat the popcorn.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring the popcorn mixture every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer the popcorn to wax paper. Cool completely.
Cooks Note:This can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
YIELD: 20 cups (5 L).
SERVING SIZE: 3/4 cup (175 mL). Each serving contains 1 tsp (5 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|