Cranberry Oat Flax Muffin
Flax is great in baking! Eat a muffin for a mid-afternoon snack.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milled flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flax
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) skim milk
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) orange juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) orange zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cranberries, frozen and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 ⁰F (180 ⁰C). Line muffin tin with muffin liners.
- For the topping: Combine quick oats, flax, brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and flour; mix well. Add melted butter; rub ingredients together. Set aside.
- To prepare the muffins: Combine flour, milled flax, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar; mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together canola oil and egg. Add skim milk, orange juice, rind and vanilla. Whisk until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid. Stir until dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened. Gently fold frozen cranberries into batter. Do not over mix.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full of batter. Sprinkle topping on muffins. Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
YIELD: 12 muffins.
SERVING SIZE: 1 muffin. Each serving contains 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|