Falafel Flax Waffles with Maple Tahini Sauce
Entree, Ground Flaxseed
- 1 (19 oz/540 mL) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) hummus
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed fresh parsley (stems okay)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed fresh cilantro (stems okay)
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil (plus more for brushing waffle maker)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) smoked paprika or chili powder
Maple Tahini Sauce:
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tahini
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 4 tsp (20 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 Long English cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced red onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese, optional
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sumac powder (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a Belgian waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat the oven to 200F to keep the waffles warm until ready to serve. You’ll need to place them on a wire rack on a baking sheet so the bottoms don’t get soggy.
- Add the chickpeas, hummus, herbs, red onion, garlic, lemon zest and juice, and canola oil to the container of a food processor fitted with the S blade. Process for 1-2 minutes until paste-like, then add the ground flaxseed, spices and salt. Process just until combined. At this point the mixture can be transferred to an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days, or waffles can be made immediately.
- Brush your preheated waffle maker with canola oil (be liberal) then add heaping 2/3 cup of batter to it, spreading the batter out a little. Cook for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, check the waffle – if it’s starting to brown but feels soft, give it a couple minutes more. If it’s crisp, take it off with a fork or spatula and put it in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining waffle mixture.
- While waffles are cooking, prepare the maple tahini sauce. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the tomato salad by combining all of the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- To serve the waffles, drizzle each warm waffle with some of the maple tahini sauce and garnish with a few spoonfuls of the tomato salad. Eat immediately.
Yield: 4 waffles.
Serving Size: 1 waffle. Each serving contains 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of flax.
Note: Use your favourite hummus in this recipe. Different flavours of hummus will alter the taste of the waffles somewhat.
Note: This is a vegan and gluten free recipe.
< Back to main Recipes page