These soft and chewy oatmeal cookies are filled with pecans, raisins, coconut and flax for a satisfying snack for those sweet cravings.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) hot water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) whole flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add hot water and mix well. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until light. Stir in ground flax, flour, baking soda and salt; blend well. Stir in rolled oats, pecans, raisins, coconut and whole flaxseed.
- Drop tablespoons of dough 2 inches (5 cm) apart on baking sheets that have been sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray. Lightly press down cookies with the bottom of a floured glass. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from sheet and cool on a rack.
Cooks note: Other nuts or 1/3 cup (75 mL) raw sunflower seeds can be substituted.
YIELD: 30 cookies.
SERVING SIZE: 2 cookies. Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|