Flax Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nothing tastes or smells as good as a freshly baked batch of chocolate chip cookies.
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) milled flax
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt 2 mL
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 ⁰F (180 ⁰C).
- In a bowl, combine flour, milled flax, chocolate chips, cocoa, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat together brown sugar, granulated sugar and egg until sugars are dissolved. Add margarine and vanilla to the egg mixture; mix well.
- Stir in dry ingredients. Knead dough with your hands to mix in ingredients. Cover dough and chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour**.
- Lightly spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray; wipe off excess. Lightly coat hands with vegetable oil or nonstick spray to handle cookies easier. Measure 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chilled dough, roll and flatten (Canadian loonie coin size). ***Place on cookie sheet 2 inch (5 cm) apart. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from tray and cool to room temperature.
** Note: cookies can be formed without chilling after the final mixing stage.
***These cookies require forming because of the decreased amount of shortening.
YIELD: 30 cookies.
SERVING SIZE: 2 cookies. Each serving contains 1 tsp (5 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|