Flax Cracker Sticks
Appetizer, Whole Flaxseed, Ground Flaxseed
Make these crackers ahead of time, and freeze them until your next party.
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) rye flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground flaxseed
- 4 tsp (20 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) coarse salt
- In large bowl, using electric beater, beat rye and all-purpose flour, whole and ground flax seed, oil, baking powder and salt until crumbly.
- Add milk and mix until dough clumps together.
- Press into ball, adding a little more water if needed to make dough workable.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead just until dough is smooth. Press into flat disc; wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes to relax dough. Divide dough into quarters. On lightly floured surface, roll out a quarter of the dough, to 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick 18 x 23 cm (7- x 9- inch) rectangle.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Cut into strips about 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) wide. Place strips on ungreased rimless baking sheets; turn each strip to twist slightly.
- Bake, two sheets at a time, in top and bottom third of 325°F (160°C) oven, rotating and switching pans halfway through, until golden and crisp, about 25 minutes. Let cool on rack.
- Make ahead and store in airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
Yield: 48 cracker sticks.
Serving Size: 1 stick. Each serving contains 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||1 g|
< Back to main Recipes page