Flaxseed Brownies with Fruit and Nuts
These fruity, nutty, fudge brownies will become your new go-to recipe.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped prunes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cherries, cranberries, blueberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) strong coffee, apple juice, brandy, rum, or bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) whole flaxseed
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Lightly grease an 8” baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Combine the prunes, dried cherries and coffee (or other liquid) in a small bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips with the butter, stirring frequently until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla into the chocolate mixture.
- In a large bowl, stir together the ground flaxseed, cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the chocolate mixture, then add the dried fruit/coffee combo, nuts and remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) chocolate chips. Mix well then scrape into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the whole flaxseed on top.
- Bake the brownies for about 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre has only a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a wire rack before cutting.
YIELD: 16 brownies.
SERVING SIZE: 1 brownie. Each serving contains 2 Tbsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|