This is a very basic cracker recipe with several variations.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 4 tsp (20 mL) margarine or butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) skim milk
- In a bowl of a stand-up mixer, add flax seed, ground flax, flour, baking powder, salt and margarine or butter. With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in milk and mix until mixture forms a soft dough. (You can also mix the dough by hand). Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Roll out very thin to a rectangle 1/16 inch (2 mm) thick. Cut into 2 1/2 inch (6 cm) squares. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- Bake 20 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove from sheet and cool on a rack.
Onion: 1 Tbsp (15 mL) powdered onion soup mix.
Cheese: 1 cup (250 mL) grated cheddar cheese.
Italian: 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oregano and 1 cup (250 mL) grated mozzarella cheese.
YIELD: 24 crackers.
SERVING SIZE: 1 - 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch (6 x 6 cm). Each serving contains 1 tsp (5 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|