- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) oat bran
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground golden flax
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) whole golden flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 1% buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, combine flour, oat bran, ground flaxseed, flaxseed, baking soda and salt. Drizzle with canola oil; mix well. Then work with hands as for pie dough to a crumbly texture.
- In another bowl whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add to dry mixture. Mix to form a ball of dough.* Knead about 20 times.
- On a lightly floured countertop, roll dough to 12 x 18 inch (30 x 45 cm) rectangle. Cut into 2 x 2 inch (5 x 5 cm) squares for a total of 54. Place squares on large baking sheet that has been sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray. Prick tops a few times with a fork. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned. After cooling, store in an airtight container.
Variation: Add 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary and 1 tsp (5 mL). black pepper. Substitute olive oil for canola oil. Brown flaxseed may be substituted for golden flaxseed. If you don’t have buttermilk combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) 1% milk plus 1 tsp (5 mL) vinegar or lemon juice. Let stand 5 minutes.
*Cooks Note: Dough should be soft but not stick to your fingers. If dough is too wet, work in flour 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time. If dough is too dry, add buttermilk 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time. Crackers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
YIELD: 54 - 2 x 2 inch (5 x 5 cm) squares.
SERVING SIZE: 2 squares. Each serving contains 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|