Golden Grain Muffins
These muffins are a quick and easy breakfast treat!
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) natural bran
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) liquid honey
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) golden raisins, chopped
Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
In a large bowl, combine oats, bran, salt, cinnamon and buttermilk. Mix well and let stand 15 minutes. Add honey, egg mixture and oil; mix well.
In another bowl, combine whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder and baking soda. Add to oat mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in raisins.
Spray muffin tin with a non-stick cooking spray. Using a 1/3 cup (75 mL) measure, scoop batter into tin, two thirds full.
Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool in tins 5 minutes before removing to a rack.
*Buttermilk substitute: 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt OR 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL). Let stand 5 minutes.
YIELD: 12 servings.
SERVING SIZE: 1 muffin. Each serving contains 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|