Lemon-Pear Bundt Cake
Baking, Ground Flaxseed
Vegan recipe that replaces eggs with flax eggs! This cake is moist, flavourful and great for an afternoon coffee break or get- together.
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) water
- 1 (15-oz.) can sliced pears in its own juice
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) apricot fruit spread
- Preheat oven 325 °F (160 °C). Liberally coat a nonstick bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside. Whisk together the ground flax with 1/3 cup (75 mL) water and let stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the pears, reserving the juice. Add enough water to the juice to equal 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) liquid.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, and vanilla. Using electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat until well blended. Add flax mixture and 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) liquid, beat until well blended. Reduce to low speed, add flour mixture, beat until just combined. Stir in zest.
- Arrange the pear slices in the bottom “grooves” of the bundt pan, carefully pour the batter evenly over all. Bake 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake in the pan to a cooling rack. Let cool 30 minutes.
- Gently run a knife around inner and outer edges of bundt pan and invert onto a serving plate. Let cool completely, at least 1 hour.
- Heat the fruit spread in a small saucepan over medium heat until slightly melted or place in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high setting in microwave for 30 seconds. Brush lightly over the cake.
Yield: one 10-inch bundt cake or 12 pieces
Serving Size: 1 piece each piece contains 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground flax
|Total Fat||0.5 g|
< Back to main Recipes page