Maple Oatmeal with Quinoa
Quinoa is an ancient grain, tiny and bead-shaped, ivory-coloured, delicately flavoured. It is found in health food stores and some grocery stores.
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) large flake rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) raisins
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped walnuts or sliced natural almonds
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) whole flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) ground flaxseed
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a rolling boil and add salt.
- Stir in oats, quinoa, raisins, maple syrup and cinnamon. Cook until water is absorbed and porridge is thick, about 18 minutes. Stir in walnuts, whole and ground flaxseed.
- Cover, remove from heat and let stand 2 minutes.
- Serve with warm milk and drizzle with extra maple syrup if desired.
Cooks note: Quinoa is an ancient grain, tiny and bead-shaped, ivory-coloured, delicately flavoured. It is found in health food stores and some grocery stores.
YIELD: 5 servings.
SERVING SIZE: 3/4 cup (175 mL). Each serving contains 2 tsp (10 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|