SaskFlax.com and POGA.com
Entree, Diabetic Friendly, Heart Healthy, Ground Flaxseed
A high fibre twist on traditional risotto using steel cut oats and ground flaxseed.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) steel cut oats
- 3 cups (750 mL) low sodium chicken broth, heated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, parsley, dill, etc.
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium pan, over medium heat, sauté diced onion in canola oil for 1 minute. Add oats, cook and stir 3 minutes until starting to lightly toast and smell nutty.
- Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) hot broth, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed. Repeat with another 1/2 cup (125 mL) doing the same until you’ve added a total of 2 1/2 cups (625 mL).
- Add peas and herbs. Stir in wine, cook and stir until wine is absorbed. Risotto is served al dente. Taste and check texture, until cooked but slightly firm to the bite.
- Remove from heat, stir in ground flaxseed and Parmesan.
Yield: 3 cups (750 mL)
Serving Size: 4 (3/4 cup/175 mL). Each serving contains 1 tsp (5 mL) of flax.
- Wine may be substituted with 1/2 cup (125 mL) of chicken broth.
- Risotto should be served a little on the soupy side not thick like porridge.
|Total Fat||3 g|
< Back to main Recipes page