Peasant Soup With Flax Farfel
Entree, Diabetic Friendly, Heart Healthy, Ground Flaxseed
Recipe for making fresh Farfel is included.
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef or any fresh ground meat
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) crushed dried basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crushed dried oregano
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried farfel or 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) fresh farfel *(see recipe below)
- 19 oz (540 mL) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz (250 g) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) ketchup
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 large egg
- In a large saucepan, sauté meat over medium heat until almost all the pink is gone, about 7 minutes. Drain off fat. Add onion, garlic, basil and oregano. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in dried or fresh farfel and cook until done, about 15 minutes for dried and 7 minutes for fresh.
- Add beans, spinach and ketchup. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- In a bowl combine flour, flaxseed and salt; mix well. Turn the mixture out onto a clean work surface. Make a well in the center and break eggs into the well. Beat eggs with a fork, slowly bringing the flour and flaxseed into the mixture. As the dough starts to thicken, use you hands to form it into a ball. Knead for 2 minutes. The dough will be stiff. Let the dough rest under a bowl for 20 minute
- Coarsely grate the dough onto a clean, floured work surface, and toss to coat with flour. Shake off excess flour. Refrigerate farfel in a paper bag for up to 1 week.
- Farfel can be cooked fresh or left to dry overnight.
- Makes: 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) farfel.
Yield: 12 cups (3 L)
Serving Size: 1 cup (250 mL). Each serving contains 1 tsp (5 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||3 g|
< Back to main Recipes page