Pumpkin and Cranberry Flax Scones
Enjoy these pumpkin and cranberry flax scones for breakfast or your next tea time treat!
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold unsalted butter, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cranberries (or frozen cranberries chopped and thawed) 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) turbinado or coarse sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) whole flaxseed
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flours, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder, spices, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Add the grated butter and toss in the cranberries.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, pumpkin purée, buttermilk and vanilla. Pour into the dry mixture and stir just to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into a disc about 1 1⁄2-inches (4 cm) thick. Cut the dough into eight wedges and place on the prepared baking sheet. Freeze the scones for 25 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Brush the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar and flax seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Serve warm.
YIELD: 8 scones.
SERVING SIZE: 1 piece. Each serving contains 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|