Saskatoon Oat and Seed Bread
Delicious fresh or slightly toasted with your favourite spread!
- 1 cup (250 mL) oat bran
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted, toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted, toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) whole flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) poppy seeds
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) 1% buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) fresh berries (or frozen, thawed and drained)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C) and position rack in the centre of the oven.
- In a large bowl, combine oat bran, oats, flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt ground flaxseed, brown sugar, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, whole flaxseed, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg and canola oil. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until moistened.
- Gently stir in berries. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5 inch (22 x 12.5 cm) loaf pan that has been sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to cooking rack. Cool completely before slicing or wrapping.
- How to toast seeds: Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Combine sunflower and pumpkin seeds in pie plate. Toast 3 minutes, stir, toast 3 minutes, stir again. If needed, toast another 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Substitute for buttermilk: 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) 1% milk plus 2 tsp (10 mL) vinegar or lemon juice. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Bread may be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
YIELD: 1 loaf (16 slices).
SERVING SIZE: 1 - 1/2 inch (1 cm) slice. Each serving contains 1 tsp (5 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g|