Savoury Flax Biscuits
Baking, Diabetic Friendly, Heart Healthy, Ground Flaxseed
Serve with Peasant Soup With Flax Farfel
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated carrot
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Mrs. Dash original seasoning or any salt-free herb and spice seasoning
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) 2% milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 450ºF (230ºC ).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in carrot, ground flax and seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and egg. Add to the flour mixture. Stir until dough forms a ball.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 20 times. Roll dough to a 3/4 inch (2 cm) thickness. Cut straight down with a 2 inch (5 cm) floured cookie cutter. Place 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from sheet and cool on a rack.
Yield: 18 biscuits (18 servings)
Serving Size: 1 biscuit. Each serving contains 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||2 g|
< Back to main Recipes page