Steamed Boston bread
This steamed bread makes a perfect addition to any meal or afternoon snack!
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins, chopped
- 1 2/3 cups (400 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fancy molasses
- Grease 3 -19 oz (540 mL) glass jars.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, ground flaxseed, brown sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Toss in raisins to coat.
- In a measuring cup stir together water and molasses. Add to dry ingredients. Stir only until combined.
- Fill tins 2/3 full. Cover with wax paper, then a layer of aluminum foil. Secure with kitchen string. Place jars on rack inside a large pot or Dutch oven. Fill Dutch oven with boiling water to halfway up the jars. Cover with lid. Bring to a gentle simmer and steam for 2 hours. Remove bread from jars. Serve warm.
YIELD: 3 loaves.
SERVING SIZE: 2 - 3/4 inch (2 cm) slices.
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|