The Prairie Power Bowl
This bowl showcases a lime, coconut-scented barley and lentil mix. These key prairie-grown foods are paired up with roasted cauliflower and sweet potato. A flaxseed dressing rounds out our shout-out to the prairies. Recipe by Zannat Reza from Thrive360 http://www.thrive360.buzz/
To make the lentil barley mix (adapted with permission from Lentils.ca):
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable stock
- 1 can (14 oz/498 mL) reduced-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) green lentils
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- Half lime zest & juice
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro (save some for garnish)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted unsweetened coconut flakes (save some for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
Roasted winter vegetables:
- 3 cups (750 mL) cauliflower florets
- 3 cups (750 mL) sweet potato 1/2” cubes
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) flaxseed
- 1 lime, zest + juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
For Lentil Barley Mix:
- Heat oil in a medium size pot, and add onion and ginger.
- Stir in stock and coconut milk. Add lentils and barley, stir, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, cover with a lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils and barley are tender. Stir every few minutes.
- Once cooked, add the lime juice and zest. Stir in cilantro, coconut flakes and season with salt and ground black pepper.
For Roasted Winter Vegetables and Dressing:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- In a bowl, toss vegetables with canola oil and salt, spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes until tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- To assemble bowls, divide lentil barley mix and roasted vegetables equally among four bowls. Drizzle with lime cilantro dressing.
YIELD: 6 Bowls.
SERVING SIZE: 1 bowl.
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|