Warm Caribbean Beans and Rice
Serve this dish warm!
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) curry powder or paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen mixed peas, and carrots, cooked
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) flaxseed oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- In a large nonstick fry pan, heat oil over medium to medium low heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno. Sauté until soft and starting to brown, 5 minutes. Add curry, thyme and salt. Stir and cook another minute. Add cooked rice, vegetables and beans. Stir.
- Cover and heat until warmed through. Stir in ground flaxseed, flaxseed oil and lime juice. Serve immediately.
YIELD: 6 servings.
SERVING SIZE: 1/2 cup (125 mL). Each serving contains 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|