Zucchini Loaf with Flaxseed and Walnuts
Baking, Breakfast, Ground Flaxseed
Overwhelmed with zucchini from your garden? This moist and delicious zucchini bread is the perfect recipe to use it up!
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 Tbsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground clove
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated zucchini, squeezed of any moisture
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) buttermilk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped walnut
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F (160 °C). Lightly grease a 9- x 5-inch (22 x 12.5 cm) loaf pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, flaxseed, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the yogurt and vanilla. Beat well. Stir in the grated zucchini.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, along with the buttermilk. Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 70-80 minutes, until the middle is set and a toothpick inserted in the centre come out with just a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the loaf pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing. The loaf keeps well, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 4 days.
Yield: 1 loaf (8-10 slices).
Serving Size: 1 slices. Each serving contains 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of flax.
|Total Fat||20 g|
< Back to main Recipes page